Monday, June 11, 2012

New beginnings

I  have recently been able to get a new job as a registered Marriage and Family Therapist Intern at Life Practice Counseling Group.  This is a private practice facility with low rates in order to better meet the needs of the private pay community.  The counseling group works with MFT trainees and MFT interns as the primary counselors and does not accept insurance.  This is an important step for me because this is my first paying job since 2002.  Needless to say, I am very excited and happy about the prospects this job holds for me.  I am a little nervous about the private practice portion of the position because it means I will have to find my own clients (so if anyone reading this knows of anybody that needs counseling, my rates are $65 per session and I have two offices in Sacramento).  I can be reached via my cell phone at 916-949-6517.  My official start date is July 2.  Okay enough of the shameless advertising, on with the rest of my post.

So, I have entitled this post new beginnings as this is a new start for me, but also because I wanted to talk about how important new beginnings are in people's lives.  As I'm sure we have all observed in our day-to-day living, when we have something new come up in our lives it creates in us feelings of excitement, nervousness, maybe exhilaration, and upon completion helps us to feel good about ourselves.  Think, for example, about the first time you went to school.  You probably felt nervous, anxious about meeting new people, and excited about the prospects of what you're going to learn or what was going to happen.  Once that first day was over, the might have felt a mix of emotions such as happy with all the new friends you've found, sad that the first day is over, and a release of anxiety now that you knew what to expect from school. Of course this is just an example of what you might have felt.  There is a broad range of emotions possible. 

New beginnings give us a chance to start over.  For many of us this is an important step in our lives, the chance to begin again with a clean slate.  Sometimes this is all a person needs in order to get back on their feet after making a mistake.  Or maybe it is a chance to try something new after learning about it in a book.  The important thing is allowing ourselves to have new beginnings.

In the future, my blogs will be psychology/MFT related postings on various topics from emotions to theoretical orientations and multiple topics in between.  I look forward to the opportunity to share some of my information with you.

1 comment:

  1. A few updates on my appointment information that I just received in case you are interested. Life Practice has a sliding scale depending on how much money the client(s) make so the fees can be even more reasonable, and I will be working mostly out of the Hwy 50 and Bradshaw office, with limited appointments out of the Auburn Blvd office.

    ReplyDelete